2018 Painting and Poetry Juried Competition and Exhibition
Deadline for Submissions: Friday June 8, 2018
Cash prizes total $2,250
Eligibility of Artist: Artist must be a full time Ontario resident. The painting or poem cannot have previously won an award. The painting may have been shown at a gallery or previously entered into a contest or exhibition.
Eligibility of Artwork:
- All paintings must be original and two dimensional.
- Artwork must be gallery ready.
- Most mediums are acceptable, excluding digital image photographs, ceramics, textiles and sculptures.
- Maximum size no larger than 24" x 36" framed.
- Please do not put your name on the painting image submitted. After you have received notice your entry has been juried in, do add your name to your painting for the exhibition.
Eligibility of Poetry: Your original poem must have the same title as your painting and represent your interpretation of the painting. Type poem without your name in black ink to fit one page of 8.5 x 11 inch white paper. Poems are not to exceed 30 lines in length, including the title and spacing. Preferred font is 12 point Times New Roman or Calibri.
Selection and Awards: 25 painting/poems will be accepted for the submission/entry stage and awarded by a judge previewing your poetry and artwork sent by mail with an attached high resolution digital image. The one month-long exhibition runs August 7 to September 2 at the Temiskaming Art Gallery in Haileybury, Ontario.
Decisions of the painter/poet judge are final. Three weeks after the deadline artists will be informed by phone or email whether their entry has been juried into the competition and eligible for awards.
Winning prizes are: First: $1,000, Second: $500, and Third $250. There will also be 3 honourable mention prizes of $125 (including a certificate). Ribbons will hang on the winning paintings for the show’s duration. There will also be a People’s Choice award of $125.
PoeARTry North will publish an exhibition book including photos of the paintings and poems selected for the exhibit. Each of the 25 juried artists selected to participate in the exhibition will receive a copy. Additional copies of the book will cost $20.00 each and artists can order it by emailing the co-ordinator at email@example.com.
Submissions: It is preferable and more efficient to use email for the submission stage* although you may also use regular postal mail for the entire package, if necessary.
All Entry fees must be sent by cheque or money order by postal mail.
Deadline for Submissions: Submissions by email/postal mail must be received by Friday June 8. Include the following:
- Artwork image in high resolution digital form (about 1 MB JPEG) or saved on a CD and mailed. Original artwork will not be accepted for the submission stage.
- Accompanying poetry on a separate typed page or attached file (Word or plain text format)
- Completed Entry Form. Download PDF here.
- Entry Fee by postal mail: a cheque or money order for $50.00 per one entry maximum
Email entries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal Mail (for entries and/or payments):
Spring Pulse Poetry Festival
P.O. Box 247
Cobalt, ON P0J 1C0
For Accepted Paintings/Poems:
- Artwork must be gallery ready. Entry label should be affixed to back of artwork. Download PDF here.
- Packaging and shipping of work to and from the exhibition is the responsibility of the artist. Spring Pulse Poetry Festival and the Temiskaming Art Gallery will not be responsible for breakage or loss. Insurance of artwork is the responsibility of the artist.
- Delivery and pickup times for 10:00 am to noon only. Deliveries to be shipped July 30 – August 1, 2018. Pickups on Tuesday, September 4 or after the reception on Sunday, September 2. Dropoffs, couriers, all in that time.
- The Temiskaming Art Gallery will take a 20% commission on any sold works.
Temiskaming Art Gallery
325 Farr Drive
Haileybury, ON P0J 1K0