Schedule of Events
12th Annual Poetry/Arts Festival
May 30 – June 1, 2019
Want a printable version of this schedule? Click here to download a PDF.
- Tuesday May 21: Seniors Without Walls teleconference event with Poets Without Walls (2:00 pm)
- Thursday May 23: Extendicare poetry reading (2:00 pm), Temiskaming Lodge poetry reading (3.15 pm)
- Friday May 24: Northdale Manor poetry reading (2:00 pm)
- Monday May 27: Linda-Bea Chambers hosts a poetry/music concert at the Temiskaming Hospital (7:00 pm)
- Wednesday May 29: Cobalt St. Pat’s School local poets visit (1:00 – 2:00 pm)
Thursday May 30:
- Open mic, featured poets Bianca Lakoseljac, Eric Charlebois, Honey Novick and special musical guest event Robyn Dewar at the Lumber Baron’s House, 604 Brewster Street in Haileybury (Temiskaming Shores), but the entrance and parking lot are off Rorke Street. Free Admission
- League of Canadian Poets Poet in Schools program with Anglophone poet Honey Novick doing workshops in local secondary and elementary schools.
- League of Canadian Poets Poet in Schools program with Francophone poet Eric Charlebois doing workshops in local elementary schools.
Friday May 31:
- Honey Novick continues Poet in Schools workshops along with Eric Charlebois doing workshops in local elementary schools.
- Limerick Contest winners announced at Laura’s Art Shoppe, in downtown Cobalt.
- 7:00 pm — Paul Penna Cobalt Public Library. Poet Laureate re-induction of Ann Margetson. Volunteer of the Year award Emma Laughlin.
- Jim Sargent Poetry Contest Awards followed by Dr. William Henry Drummond National Poetry Contest Awards Ceremony.
Saturday June 1:
Mezzanine Gallery, Classic Theatre Cobalt, 30 Silver Street
- 10:00 am — Ontario Poetry Society (TOPS) Cobalt Branch Annual Meeting, open mic/music event. All are welcome to bring a favourite poem, read one of your own, or sing/play music. Refreshments will be available.
Paul Penna Cobalt Public Library
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm — Luncheon compliments of the library board
- 1:00 pm — Order of the North Ceremony for Dr. William Henry Drummond. Performances of Drummond’s poetry and presentation of award by Jack Munroe Historial Society Elk City Order of the North committee. Admission is free.
- 2:45 pm — New Liskeard/Haileybury Legion Pipe Band will lead us on a poetry parade to the Dr. Pollard Poetry Park, 18 Grandview Avenue.
- Official group festival photo in front of the Dr. Pollard Poetry Park sign
- Marilyn Chevrier-Wills, Timiskaming First Nation elder/teacher with her husband John Wills will perform a welcoming song/opening prayer ceremony.
- Tree dedication ceremony for Vivian Hylands Hostetler
- White Dog of Cobalt yellow ribbon remembrance event against animal abuse or cruelty.
- We invite anyone who wants to join a drumming circle in the poetry park.
- Followed by an Open Mic poetry/music by the Ann Margetson Gazebo.
- 9:00 pm — Café Meteor Bistro, 485 Ferguson Ave., Haileybury Saturday evening ‘unplugged’ music show Lisa Benoit & Renée Hacquard are a vibrant vocal and piano duo who captivate audiences with their beautiful renditions of pop music from the 70s to current. Admission is $10.
Join poets and friends attending the Spring Pulse Poetry Festival for dinner at 8:00 pm, before the show!